The village of Burley is steeped in mystery and has a colourful history. Today it has a quaint charm and for many people is the quintessential New Forest village. The New Forest ponies, donkeys and cattle quietly mill amongst the tourists and day trippers who are wandering around the many gift shops.
Tales of witchcraft, smuggling and even legends of dragons permeate the air. What is not in doubt is the beauty of the surrounding countryside and the breathtaking vistas. As well as the natural beauty the village boasts an eclectic range of shops and refreshments, including; music, fudge and gift shopping, ice cream vendors, three pubs, several tea rooms, cafe’s and restaurants, grocer and butcher, a golf course, cricket field, school, two estate agents and a doctors surgery. Something for everyone.
Witchcraft themed shops might at first seem slightly out of place for a quaint little village in The New Forest. But there is more than meets the eye!.
With a shopping mall, gift shops, many with a witchcraft theme, a Post office and Moorman’s grocery store; the village is a good place for some shopping.
Surrounded by stunning countryside the village is always popular for walkers. Take a walk around Burley with us.
Pubs and Clubs
Hotels & Accommodation
If you are looking for a place to stay in Burley. You could try the Burley Manor Hotel, The Burley Inn and The White Buck. Find a hotel in Burley.
Witches & witchcraft
This quaint little village sure has a lot of witch shops! Some say that Britain’s most famous witch, and former resident Sybil Leek had a lot to do with it. Learn more about the witches of the New Forest.
Cycling & Cycle Hire
Always a popular location for cyclists. There is cycle hire available in the village and it is surrounded by family friendly cycle routes. Learn more about New Forest cycling.
This little new Forest village is one of the most popular sightseeing stops on any New Forest tour. Visit The Burley Cider farm , take a half hour Deer Safari or enjoy a Burley Wagon Ride on a horse-drawn wagon. The stables at the Burley Manor offer horse riding out onto the open forest.
New Forest Cider is made at the local cider farm.
The Halloween and Christmas events are popular along with the village show held every summer.
Did you know?
- Burley is twinned with Beurlay in France.
- Burley Primary School is host to several events every year including car boot sales and summer fayres.
- Burley Scouts hut and grounds are available for hire and camping.
- The village has it’s own working cider farm and orchard. New Forest Cider make the excellent Snake-Catcher Scrumpy.
- Legend has it that there was a dragon who lived at the top of Castle Hill Lane who used to terrorise the villagers, before a brave knight boldly defeated the flame breathing creature.
- The Burley WI meet in the Myrtle Hall
- Folklore says that The Burley Manor is linked by an old smugglers tunnel to The Queens Head pub. Evidence of smuggling has been found in the pubs cellar.
- Cycle hire is available from Forest Leisure Cycle Hire
- Burley Parish Council are responsible for many amenities in the village including the Burley Cross War Memorial
Several buses run through the village every day heading towards Ringwood, Bransgore and Brockenhurst. It is always best to check the timetables as they do not run very often. By car, it can be found a few miles from the A31 signposted at Picket Post or around five miles from Ringwood.