RAF Beaulieu was a former airfield in the New Forest. One of 12 airfields operational during WWII. Today it is the only location within the New Forest where you can fly a radio controlled aircraft. It is located on Hatchet Lane on Beaulieu Heath adjacent to Roundhill Campsite. In fact the old airfield water tower is still used by Roundhill.
Opened in 1942, RAF Beaulieu was used during the Battle for the Atlantic with RAF and Czech squadrons involved in searching for and destroying U-Boats. In 1944 the RAF flew Typhoons from here. Later from March to August including the D-Day invasion USAF Thunderbolt and Marauder aircraft were stationed here.
There were three runways, two hangers, ammunition dumps, accommodation blocks and a cinema and gym.
Later the site was used by the Airborne Forces Experimental Establishment to test parachutes, gliders and early helicopters. The site was returned to the Forestry Commission in 1959.
RAF Beaulieu is near to the village of East Boldre, and about 2 miles (3.2 km) west of the village of Beaulieu.
New Forest Airfields
Grid Reference: SU350006