RAF Holmsley South was one of the largest airfields of the 12 built in the New Forest during the Second World War. Built in 1942 it had 3 runways, 2 hangars and many support buildings and accommodation blocks. Set next to the Holmsley Inclosure and is also the location of Holmsley Campsite where the memorial to RAF Holmsley can be seen.
RAF Holmsley South is about 2 miles south of Burley.
On the western edge of the former aerodrome lies the New Forest Airfields Memorial. A tribute to the 12 WWII airfields and their personnel.
Holmsley Airfield History
|Sep 1 1942||Holmsley Airfield opened|
|1942||8th U.S.A.F||B24D Liberators|
|1943||R.A.F||Halifaxes & Horsas|
|1944||9th U.S.A.F||B26 Marauders|
|1945||R.A.F||Warwicks & Liberators|
|1946||R.A.F||Yorks & Skymasters|
|Oct 16 1946||Holmsley Airfield closed|
Grid Reference: SZ 215 988